Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Speak.

Since the jailing of Laura Ling and Euna Lee, I have remained quite inarticulate about the subject. As some of you may know, my thesis project is on North Korean refugees. One of the biggest goals of my research is not to demonize North Korea but to be critical of all nation states that participate in the migration of North Korean refugees, whether they are helpful or not. I've been following this story off and on since it happened. For some reason, I wanted an update on their situation. When I googled for updates, I could find none. It has been a month since any real substantive updates have been posted about Laura and Euna. This is almost upsetting. The news media sensationalized this story once it came out and I assume because it involved North Korea. North Korea is like gold for political pundits. So this story was as good as it was going to get for the news media. However, it has been a month, it has lost its flair and these women have disappeared in more ways than one. What I find incredibly upsetting is that their boss, Al Gore!, has not publicly commented on this situation, at all. I find this awfully irresponsible on his part just because as someone with as much connections and network, he has not done anything productive to help Euna and Laura. Lisa Ling, Laura's older sister, is ONE person, whose influence may be limited.

For the last couple of months, I have familiarized with North Korea in different respects such as national culture, immigration, and how prisoners are treated within the country. There is not a lot of there, well information that is authentic or unbiased. It is hard. I know this post is totally random and probably makes no sense but I just wanted to express how easily human beings can be forgotten especially when they have served the purpose within the frame of media. I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I just wanted to express some of my thoughts on this situation.

Love,
Tumultuous Dolphin

No comments:

Post a Comment